Friday 11 May 2018

Visit from Paul Beavis

Author and illustrator Paul Beavis visited Awahono School today, and he talked to Room 5 about his work. He read the first book he had published, Mrs Mo's Monster, and we joined in with some actions.  One thing we learned was how many different versions of the story and drawings Paul tried until finally the book was published. Paul didn't give up when the publishers rejected his first attempt, he kept trying different things until eventually he achieved success. A highlight was when Paul taught us how to draw our own monster, step by step, then he autographed each of our drawings.  We had a great time!

Have a look on our individual blogs to find out more about Paul Beavis.
Click on this link to listen to Paul Beavis reading Mrs Mo's Monster.

Room 5 join in with actions while Paul Beavis reads Mrs Mo's Monster.

Paul Beavis shows us how to draw a monster step by step.



We are following Paul Beavis's instructions to help us draw our own monsters. 

This is how we decided to draw the monster's arms.

This is Paul Beavis's monster drawing.

These are our finished monster drawings.

7 comments:

  1. Hi it is Apollo from Waikowhai primary school in Manukau. I love the monsters, we are doing art like you but it is a 3D fish and I hope it will turn out good like yours. And it will be cool. By the why can you look at my blog here is the link to my blog. http://wpsapolloj.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Apollo, thanks for your comment. Hope your 3D fish art turns out well. Will we be able to see it on your blog?
    Room 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Room 5,
    It is great to see what incredible opportunities you are having in your class. Thanks for sharing them on your blog! Imagine being taught to draw a monster by a real artist/author! How lucky! I googled Paul Beavis as I haven't seen his book Mrs Mo' Monster. I noticed on your Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu buddies blog, Waikowhai School, that they have had an author, Des Hunt, visit them. Have you read that post? We obviously have some talented authors/artists in New Zealand writing exciting stories for our young New Zealanders. I imagine some of you have some great story writing ideas now too!
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tania, we did notice that Waikowhai School had a visit from Des Hunt and some of us commented on that. We were really pleased with our drawings of Mrs Mo's Monsters and we loved that Paul Beavis signed them all.
    We learned from Paul Beavis that it doesn't matter how good your work is, you have to keep trying hard to make it better.
    Room 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying! Paul Beavis is quite right about always trying harder to make it better. That is the same with blogposts and blog comments - we are always working harder on making sure we have a good quality blogpost and hoping that we get positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.

      Delete
  5. Hi there! I'm Oscar from Manukau, Te Waka Ako, Waikowhai Primary School. It looked like you had a lot of fun with Paul Beavis. It reminds me of when I did a workshop with Des Hunt at m school. Have you thought about doing a sign off at the end of your blog posts? For example, "That's all from me, bye!" or "I've got nothing more to say. Blog ya later!" If you would like to e my learning my blog address is https://wpsoscarc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, my name is Maryam and I am a student in room Manukau in Waikowhai Primary School. I really like your monsters. It made me think of the time when I was at my old school we were doing an art challenge If you would like to see my learning, my blog is http://wpsmaryams.blogspot.co.nz/ bye!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.